The plan, spearheaded by new National Security Advisor John Bolton, would see Gulf Arab countries and U.S mercenaries take control of areas of Syria currently occupied by US troops.
The Wall Street Journal’s sources among U.S. officials claim the Trump Administration is attempting to establish an Arab force that would replace U.S. troops in the war-torn country.
According to the report, Trump’s national security adviser John Bolton allegedly held a phone conversation with Abbas Kamel, Egypt’s acting chief of intelligence, to see if Cairo would be willing to contribute to the plan.
According to the Wall Street Journal:
The Trump administration is seeking to assemble an Arab force to replace the U.S. military contingent in Syria and help stabilize the northeastern part of the country after the defeat of Islamic State, U.S. officials said.
John Bolton, President Donald Trump’s new national security adviser, recently called Abbas Kamel, Egypt’s acting intelligence chief, to see if Cairo would contribute to the effort, officials said.
The initiative comes as the administration has asked Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates to contribute billions of dollars to help restore northern Syria. It wants Arab nations to send troops as well, officials said.
Details about the initiative, which haven’t been previously disclosed, have emerged in the days since the U.S.-led strikes on sites associated with the Syrian regime’s chemical-weapons capabilities.”
The U.S. had also allegedly requested that Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the UAE allocate billions of dollars to restore northeastern Syria, currently under the control of U.S. forces and asked the Gulf nations to send their forces there.
The plan is allegedly aimed at preventing a “security vacuum” in the U.S. – occupied areas of Syria if U.S. troops withdraw. However, a U.S. troop withdrawal still remains in question as the U.S. military continues to establish new bases in the country.
The Wall Street Journal also reported that Erik Prince, best known for founding the government services and security company Blackwater USA, now known as Academi, has reportedly said that some Gulf state officials have contacted him to discuss the prospects of assembling a force in Syria.
Saudi Arabia and its allies are facing significant challenges to their intervention in Yemen, relying heavily of foreign mercenaries and U.S support, making it unlikely that the Saudi-led coalition will be deployed in Syria. The oil-ruch Gulf states do, however, have enough money to pay U.S.-linked private security contractors to serve as proxies in a potential combat zone.
— LBCI Lebanon News EN (@LBCI_News_EN) April 17, 2018
Top Photo | Soldiers from Third Army/U.S. Army Central (Third Army), the South Carolina Army National Guard and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Royal Saudi Land Forces (RSLF) lower their country’s respective flags Feb. 28 to commemorate the success of Exercise Friendship Two. (U.S. Army Photo)
Stories published in our Daily Digests section are chosen based on the interest of our readers. They are republished from a number of sources, and are not produced by MintPress News. The views expressed in these articles are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect MintPress News editorial policy.